Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cabo San Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by SR Only View Post
    Define "anthying?" Delightful dates with local seŮoritas?
    That part is pretty darn easy, depending on where you are staying. Some of the resorts have very tight security and will not let you bring a local lady in, and I have never tried. The strip clubs are pretty much full service for the right price (about what you would expect to spend in the U.S.). Then there's the El Toro Bravo - an old fashioned brothel - which is considerably less expensive than the strip clubs, but a larger portion of the ladies there do not speak English. I didn't have any trouble in any of these places, but as I walked to and from the El Toro from the main drag I was very aware that it was not the best place for a gringo to be alone at night. A taxi ride to and from the El Toro would be much safer. Most of the strip clubs are on or very near one of the main drags: Avenue Lazaro Cardenas. It's said that the nearby El Squid Roe Nightclub is a place you can go to score with vacationing-partying American or Canadian females on holiday. I never went there at night, so I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
    That part is pretty darn easy, depending on where you are staying. Some of the resorts have very tight security and will not let you bring a local lady in, and I have never tried. The strip clubs are pretty much full service for the right price (about what you would expect to spend in the U.S.). Then there's the El Toro Bravo - an old fashioned brothel - which is considerably less expensive than the strip clubs, but a larger portion of the ladies there do not speak English. I didn't have any trouble in any of these places, but as I walked to and from the El Toro from the main drag I was very aware that it was not the best place for a gringo to be alone at night. A taxi ride to and from the El Toro would be much safer. Most of the strip clubs are on or very near one of the main drags: Avenue Lazaro Cardenas. It's said that the nearby El Squid Roe Nightclub is a place you can go to score with vacationing-partying American or Canadian females on holiday. I never went there at night, so I do not know.
    I'm not sure all that is available. When I used this driver I was with a group of guys who were not really partakers of nighttime activites. But, Victor made it clear that did we desire some friendship for the evening or the night...that he could make that happen. We tipped well though...and engaged in enough conversation where he could tell we had the resources to do most anything we wanted. The main thing for us though...was we never felt like we were in an unsecure setting. He steered us away from any place that might be unsecure. That was worth the money spent.

Life Coach to the Hoes atlcomedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
    I've never really understood the "extreme no-guest policies"....

I mean I get that charging a guest fee is an additional revenue source and I've never met a hotel that didn't like those and registering guests can serve legit security functions, but let's face it if you are on vacation sans significant other and it isn't like a family reunion or the like "getting lucky" can make a trip. Particularly at a beach resort where everyone is walking around 3/4ths naked all day.

I'm sure there are places with a true "no-guest" policy. I've never run into one (at least at a regular hotel/resort where you call and make personal reservations not some group on some special program). If you are willing to pay for it there is a way around it. The worst I ever ran into was she had to show ID and I paid for a full day resort fee (it was an all inclusive place) at rack rate...probably around $75 (and she didn't even stay for breakfast ).

My suggestion if you plan on having a guest (civie or pro) is just ask the hotel. They will tell you....I'm sure you aren't the first to ask...
    "Life ain't too bad no matter how hard the politicians try to fuck things up." - atlcomedy 8/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyard K View Post
    I'm not sure all that is available. When I used this driver I was with a group of guys who were not really partakers of nighttime activites. But, Victor made it clear that did we desire some friendship for the evening or the night...that he could make that happen. We tipped well though...and engaged in enough conversation where he could tell we had the resources to do most anything we wanted. The main thing for us though...was we never felt like we were in an unsecure setting. He steered us away from any place that might be unsecure. That was worth the money spent.
    It was clear the ladies at El Toro were available for out call for an entire night if you so wished. I suspect the ladies working at the strip clubs were similarly available, but I've never asked. I didn't feel threatened in the El Toro. It was walking the 3 to 5 blocks along semi-lit streets back to the main drag that made me wary. Having someone deliver you and pick you up is exactly the degree of safety that is desired.

Quote Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post
    I've never really understood the "extreme no-guest policies"....

I mean I get that charging a guest fee is an additional revenue source and I've never met a hotel that didn't like those and registering guests can serve legit security functions, but let's face it if you are on vacation sans significant other and it isn't like a family reunion or the like "getting lucky" can make a trip. Particularly at a beach resort where everyone is walking around 3/4ths naked all day.

I'm sure there are places with a true "no-guest" policy. I've never run into one (at least at a regular hotel/resort where you call and make personal reservations not some group on some special program). If you are willing to pay for it there is a way around it. The worst I ever ran into was she had to show ID and I paid for a full day resort fee (it was an all inclusive place) at rack rate...probably around $75 (and she didn't even stay for breakfast ).

My suggestion if you plan on having a guest (civie or pro) is just ask the hotel. They will tell you....I'm sure you aren't the first to ask...
    Like I said, not all hotels have a "no guest" policy. And some are too accessible to enforce it if they did. Street/beach peddlers in Cabo can be a nuisance, so some places, like the place I normally stay, has and can enforce a strict no local guest policy. And, more to the point, I have never booked an overnight with anyone - anywhere. One, maybe two or three hours at most is normally all I'm good for. On a very rare occasion, I have been known to go bar hopping to two or three strip clubs over a five or six hour period. The VIP rooms down there are very private.

But back to my original inquiry. Does anyone have a favorite restaurant in Cabo to recommend?

I was in Cabos for only a few days and stayed mostly on the marina/touristy area, so Iím sure there are much better dining options than what Iím suggesting, but for what itís worth, here a few:

Lorenzilloís Live Lobster House: If you like lobsters, you might want to make a stop here. You may pick your own live lobster if you wish or ask for one according to the size/lbs you desire. There were close to 20 preparations offered. I chose to have mine steamed with a side of the spicy chipotle plum and tamarindo sauce for dipping, which was different in a yummy way. The raw oysters were also fresh and good.

Tiki Bar: This is a good spot if you are in the mood for a light meal in a casual setting. We discovered this place on a whim while walking around. When we first sat down, we didnít realize it was going to be a sushi bar, and I was a bit worried, but the rolls were very fresh and can be best described as Japanese and Mexican fusion, which was, unexpectedly, a tasty twist.

La Frida: A fine dining restaurant for great Mexican food, located in the Sunset Beach Resort. Everything we had here was delicious. I would especially recommend the tuna tartar, pork belly and lamb mole. My friend ordered the Mexican coffee, which they make at the table and was fun to watch. I donít drink coffee, but I was told it was good. Part of the decor were paintings by and of Frida Kahlo, of whom I am a big fan, so that was a bonus. The most romantic time for dining here is during sunset, sitting on the terrance.

Siempre: This establishment is located in the Pacifica Resort and offers Mediterranean Mexican fusion cuisine that was excellent all around. I had the most interesting dish on the menu, the chocolate lobster, and enjoyed it, though Iím not sure if it would suit those with a more conventional palate. There were also sushi choices, which we decided to pass on, but the selections looked appetizing and fresh. There are indoor as well as outdoor seating, and for special occasion, you may wish to reserve a semi-private table on the beach. You are guaranteed to get brownie points for the extra effort.

There was one other exceptional, authentic Mexican restaurant away from the beach that I loved, but I canít remember its name. Iíll ask and add it here if I come up with it.

I hope you have a fun and relaxing vacation.
    Presenting my glittering New Blog on the Block.

Elegant and playful companion for the refined gentleman who knows that pleasure is never guilty.

French Polynesia: late Jan. to early Feb.
    Dallas: late Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by Delightful Charlie View Post
    I was in Cabos for only a few days and stayed mostly on the marina/touristy area, so I’m sure there are much better dining options than what I’m suggesting, but for what it’s worth, here a few:

Lorenzillo’s Live Lobster House: If you like lobsters, you might want to make a stop here. You may pick your own live lobster if you wish or ask for one according to the size/lbs you desire. There were close to 20 preparations offered. I chose to have mine steamed with a side of the spicy chipotle plum and tamarindo sauce for dipping, which was different in a yummy way. The raw oysters were also fresh and good.

Tiki Bar: This is a good spot if you are in the mood for a light meal in a casual setting. We discovered this place on a whim while walking around. When we first sat down, we didn’t realize it was going to be a sushi bar, and I was a bit worried, but the rolls were very fresh and can be best described as Japanese and Mexican fusion, which was, unexpectedly, a tasty twist.

La Frida: A fine dining restaurant for great Mexican food, located in the Sunset Beach Resort. Everything we had here was delicious. I would especially recommend the tuna tartar, pork belly and lamb mole. My friend ordered the Mexican coffee, which they make at the table and was fun to watch. I don’t drink coffee, but I was told it was good. Part of the decor were paintings by and of Frida Kahlo, of whom I am a big fan, so that was a bonus. The most romantic time for dining here is during sunset, sitting on the terrance.

Siempre: This establishment is located in the Pacifica Resort and offers Mediterranean Mexican fusion cuisine that was excellent all around. I had the most interesting dish on the menu, the chocolate lobster, and enjoyed it, though I’m not sure if it would suit those with a more conventional palate. There were also sushi choices, which we decided to pass on, but the selections looked appetizing and fresh. There are indoor as well as outdoor seating, and for special occasion, you may wish to reserve a semi-private table on the beach. You are guaranteed to get brownie points for the extra effort.

There was one other exceptional, authentic Mexican restaurant away from the beach that I loved, but I can’t remember its name. I’ll ask and add it here if I come up with it.

I hope you have a fun and relaxing vacation.
    Thank you for your suggestions. I've been to the Siempre once and La Frida's twice. La Frida's is quite an exquisite dining experience. I'll give the Tiki Bar a go this time. I think I heard about it before but just never managed to get there.